Skip to main content

Adults Rutland Information Service

Help With Council Tax Carers UK

Council tax is a local form of taxation on domestic property and is collected by local councils (often referred to as local authorities).

The person (or people) who own or rent the home is/are legally responsible for paying the council tax bill. If two people jointly own a property or have a joint tenancy they will both be responsible for the bill, although only one bill will be sent to the home.

There are a number of ways in which people can get help with council tax, including through:

  1. Council Tax Reduction (CTR) schemes (sometimes called Council Tax Support)
  2. Rebates
  3. Exemptions
  4. Discounts
  5. Disability Reduction Scheme
  6. Discretionary payments

Here you can download a fact sheet to see if you might be eligible for this service.

Who to contact


This page was last updated on: 27/07/2020

Back to top