Skip to main content

Adults Rutland Information Service

Disabled Facilities Grants

If you are disabled and need to make changes to your home, you could be entitled to a grant from your local council, this won’t affect any benefits you get but it could help you

  • Adapt Heating or Lighting controls to make them easier to use
  • Improve access to rooms and facilities – such as stair lifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • Widen Doors and Install Ramps
  • Provide a heating system suitable for your needs

Disabled children under 18 can get a grant without their parents’ income being taken into account. Contact your local council for more information.

2. What you'll get

How much you get depends on your:

  • household income
  • household savings over £6,000

In England the Grant is up to £30,000

You might not get any grant if you start work on your property before the council approves your application.

You need to apply separately for any planning permission or building regulations approval.

How you’ll be paid

You’ll be paid either:

  • in instalments - as the work progresses
  • in full - when the work is finished

The council may pay the contractor directly or give you a cheque to pass on to them. They’ll agree this with you when they approve your application.

When you’ll be paid

You’ll be paid either:

  • when the council is happy with the finished work
  • when you give the council the invoice, demand or receipt for payment from the contractor

    3. Eligibility

You or someone living in your property must be disabled. Either you or the person you’re applying for must:

  • own the property or be a tenant
  • intend to live in the property during the grant period (which is currently 5 years)

You can also apply for a grant if you’re a landlord and have a disabled tenant.

The council needs to be happy that the work is:

  • necessary and appropriate to meet the disabled person’s needs
  • reasonable and can be done - depending on the age and condition of the property

4. How to apply

Apply through your local council.
For Rutland this is the Adult Duty Team on 01572 722 577 ask to be transferred

The council may send an occupational therapist round to see you. They’ll check your circumstances and see what changes you need.


You can appeal to your council if you’re unhappy with their decision.

If you appeal and you’re still not happy, you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.

If you would like to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant, contact the Adult Duty Team at Rutland County Council on 01572 722 577

Who to contact

Contact Name
Adult Duty Team
Contact Position
Social Services Rutland County Council
01572 722 577

Where to go

Catmose House
Catmos Street
LE15 6HP

Time / Date Details

When is it on
8:30 - 17:00 Monday - Thursday
8:30 - 16:30 Friday

This page was last updated on: 17/07/2019

Back to top