After the success of underwater treadmill advocates Mo Farrah and Alastair Brownlee in London & Rio, the multiple benefits of treadmill running for both rehabilitation and lower impact mileage have come to the fore. You will be running on a state of the art Endless Pool Aquatic Treadmill with or without the added challenge of a variable speed swim current providing extra resistance. (in fact, exactly the same type of treadmill that Alaistair uses!).
These are non-coached sessions in 29-31C temperature water with runners controlling their own treadmill and flume speed relative to their goals. Two runners can use the pool at the same time as there are two treadmill/flume combos, but each will be controlled separately. The first 15min session for a new runner will be treated as an induction session to ensure that the runner can safely control both treadmill and flume speed within their safe run capability.Best practice instruction will be given.
Waist high water reduces your body weight by approximately 50%, increasing to 75% at chest height. The resultant natural buoyancy reduces impact and therefore stress on leg joints and lower back whilst the hydrostatic pressure helps to support the body to provide a safe but highly effective workout environment. These sessions are therefore great in your "training mix" to:
- Get a good running session in without having to run as far or as fast as on a land based treadmill.
- Add miles or just recover from harder land based efforts, whilst being kind to your legs.
- Focus on technique by adjusting speed and resistance at hip height.
- Speed recovery or reduce the risk of added injury through land based running.
- Get you started in running at a lower intensity but with good biomechanics and as a fantastic way to increase fitness.