Skip to main content

Families Rutland Information Service

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you’re ill or disabled, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) offers you:

  • financial support if you’re unable to work
  • personalised help so that you can work if you’re able to

You can apply for ESA if you’re employed, self-employed or unemployed.

You might be transferred to ESA if you’ve been claiming other benefits like Income Support or Incapacity Benefit.

Work Capability Assessment

You must have a Work Capability Assessment while your ESA claim is being assessed. This is to see to what extent your illness or disability affects your ability to work.

You’ll then be placed in one of 2 groups if you’re entitled to ESA:

  • work-related activity group, where you’ll have regular interviews with an adviser
  • support group, where you don’t have interviews

What you’ll get

How much ESA you get depends on:

  • your circumstances, such as income
  • the type of ESA you qualify for
  • where you are in the assessment process

Use a benefits calculator to work out how much you can get.

The quickest way to apply for Employment and Support Allowance is by phone.

You can also fill in and print out the ESA1 form and send or take it to your local Jobcentre Plus office.

Who to contact

0800 055 6688
Textphone: 0800 023 4888
Visit the .Gov website

Time / Date Details

When is it on
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

This page was last updated on: 03/07/2020

Back to top