Following a bereavement, people will be looking for support; to talk, and try and make sense of what has happened.
Support is available from a number of organisations, offering helpful information on what to expect and how to cope.
Please remember that many of these services may be delayed in responding to you due to the current demand. They apologise to you in advance.
A number of organisations across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland have come together and prepared bereavement information and support for families, friends and carers who have lost a loved one due to coronavirus.
The following organisations have also prepared information, advice and guidance specifically relating to the coronavirus outbreak:
The National Bereavement Alliance has prepared a guide to help children and adults keep in touch when they can’t be with someone who may die.
The Association of Christian Counsellors have set up a specific COVID-19 Crisis Counselling Support Service for frontline NHS staff, people working in a residential care home setting being directly impacted by caring for those with COVID-19, and people who have been bereaved during the pandemic.
- Oakham Team Ministry are offering telephone support, accessed via the parish office. Tel: 01572 724007 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- LOROS Bereavement and counselling service offers one-to-one and group counselling and support. Tel: 0116 231 3771
- The RISE service is a collaboration between the Rutland GP practices and Rutland County Council, and provides one-to-one support to help you to navigate life-changing events. Email: email@example.com / Tel: 07814 144647 (Monday - Thursday 8am - 4pm, Friday 8am - 3:30pm)
- Thorpe Hall (Sue Ryder) are offering one-to-one and group counselling and support. Tel: 01733 225900 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Sue Ryder also offer a free online bereavement counselling service.
- Cruse is a national organisation with both local and national support available. They offer a range of free, confidenial support for adults and children. Please note there can be a waiting list. Leicestershire Tel: 0116 288 4119 / Email: email@example.com. Stamford and Bourne Tel: 07715 527611 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Laura Centre, based in Leicester, offer group and one-to-one bereavement counselling for those who have lost a child, or children who have been bereaved. They also have an advice telephone line: 0116 218 2140, Monday to Friday, 10am - 4pm.
- The NHS provide general advice and advice for young people to help cope with bereavement.
- At A Loss is the UK's signposting website for the bereaved, where you will be able to access a range of articles and resources.
- The Good Grief Trust also advice and signposting for the bereaved.
- Grief Chat offer online support for grieving or bereaved people Monday - Friday, 9am - 9pm (UK time).
- Mind provides information on bereavement, where to go for support, and suggestions for helping yourself and others through grief.
- The National Bereavement Service provices practical advice on all aspects of bereavement. Tel: 0800 024 6121 / Email: email@example.com.
- Churchill have published a guide on coping with death and grief.
- This printable guide from Care For The Family offers helpful tips on how to support someone who has been bereaved.
- Marie Curie offer guidance on supporting a grieving relative or friend
- Cruse have listed some suggested dos and donts when helping someone bereaved
- Sue Ryder give tips on what to say to someone who has been bereaved
- The NHS provides a helpful guide on talking to children about their feelings, as well as general advice on bereavement and young people
- Winston's Wish is a national charity offering information, advice and guidance on supporting bereaved children and young people.
- Child Bereavement offers children and young people (up to age 25), parents, and families, help to rebuild their lives when a child grieves or when a child dies
- The Laura Centre offers group and one-to-one counselling for children who have been bereaved, as well as those who have lost a child.
- YoungMinds offer some guidance for parents, as well as conversation starters.