Skip to main content

Rutland Information Service

Equipment and Adaptations

**In line with government advice regarding the coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak, visiting your property may not be advisable, however we would still encourage you to get in touch and we may be able to advise remotely.**

There's a range of equipment on the market that can help you to remain living independently at home, and could prevent you from needing to have someone to come and support you. This equipment could help you to get around the house, get dressed, use your bathroom or prepare meals.

Equipment suppliers

These pieces of equipment can bought from lots of different places, including:

Help to identify the right equipment for you

If you aren't sure what type of equipment would help you, you can ask Rutland County Council for a care and support assessment.

You can also visit the Disabled Living Foundation’s AskSARA website. This site asks you a series of questions to help identify what equipment might be most useful to you.

Equipment and adaptations from the Council

If you have a care and support assessment from the Council which finds that you need some equipment, this is generally provided on loan and free of charge.

Assistive Technology

There are also gadgets, alarms and monitors available that could make you feel safer around your home. These include devices like remote controlled plugs, gas and water sensors and alarms activated by using a pendant or buzzer connected to a response centre if you have a fall.

Contact the Longhurst Lifeline & Assistive Technology Service to talk about which equipment could best meet your needs.


Sometimes it may be helpful to make minor adaptations to your home, for example fitting a stair rail or grab rail.

Minor adaptations costing £1,000 or less (including the cost of buying and fitting the adaptation) are provided free of charge. The council may charge for minor adaptations that cost more than £1,000 to provide.

If you need a major adaptation to your home to help you to remain living there, like installing a level access shower or stair lift or widening doors, then you may be entitled to a Disabled Facilities Grant. You will need to have a financial assessment for this.

An Occupational Therapist will complete an assessment with you to identify what adaptations are required, make a recommendation for the grant and support you through this process.

Back to top