Skip to main content

Rutland Information Service

Assessing Your Care and Support Needs

What is a care and support assessment?

Assessment is one of the most important parts of getting the right care and support for you, and is an opportunity to meet some of the professionals who provide care and support services (social workers, carers support workers and occupational therapists etc). 

An assessment is used to find out about the care and support needs you have, help you understand your situation and get the right kind of care and support, when you need it.

It is also a way to recognise and build on your strengths, and look at the things you want to achieve in your day to day life.  

An assessment will also look at other important areas, for example ways to maintain or improve your wellbeing and any impact your needs might have on your family and other people in your life.

Everyone has different needs, therefore each assessment is different.

Your assessment should be led by you, go at your own pace, and the process must be flexible and adapted to meet your needs. 

You should only share the information you want to. 

Your assessment will only go in to detail about the areas that are important to you, to make sure it is tailored to your care and support needs and goals.

If you want to, you can complete a self-assessment, where you fill out the documentation yourself.


Who can have an assessment?

Rutland County Council will carry out an assessment for any adult who appears to have a need for care and support.

This is regardless of a person’s financial situation. 

Carers are also able to have their own assessment. 

Who is involved?

In all cases the Council will involve you; the person being assessed. 

If you would find it very difficult to be involved in the assessment process and have no other appropriate person to represent you and your views (for example, a family member or friend of your choice), you would benefit from getting an independent advocate to help you.  

What can I expect if someone visits me at home, or I am sent the assessment form to complete myself?

The assessor will either complete your assessment with you, or you can be supported to complete it yourself.

The assessment will focus on a number of things: what’s working well, what’s not working so well and if you need any help etc.

They will go through a number of areas, such as your current situation, what concerns you, your health, your safety, your physical abilities, your home environment,  who supports you if anyone, what your needs are etc.

 It will also involve pulling together a summary of your needs and the outcomes you want to achieve. 

The assessor will look at whether there are any risks to you and your wellbeing and agree with you how they can be best managed. 

They will also look at how to help you prevent and delay the need for care and support.

They will then give you their professional opinion and following the assessment, your assessor will determine whether you are eligible for support from Rutland County Council.

If you are then together you will draft a care and support plan looking at how your needs can be best met.   

What are eligibility criteria?

There is a national threshold - if a person’s needs meet all three conditions, then their needs are eligible.

  • Do you have needs due to a physical or mental impairment or illness?
  • Do those needs mean that you are unable to achieve two or more specified outcomes?
  • Is there, or is there likely to be, a significant impact on your wellbeing as a consequence of being unable to achieve two or more of the outcomes?

More detailed information about eligibility.

Financial Assessments

Following an assessment of your care needs, and once it has been established that you are eligible for services provided by the Council; you will need a financial assessment to see how much, if anything, you should pay towards your care and support.

An Assessment Officer will contact you to arrange a visit.  When they visit, you will need to show them any relevant documents about your income, capital and expenditure. The Assessment Officer will record these details on an assessment form and you will be asked to sign it.

If you would like to have someone with you during the assessment you are welcome to. This could be your spouse, partner, carer, friend or solicitor.

We carry out annual reviews of all financial assessments, particularly when all standard benefit and pension rates increase. If your circumstances have changed you can ask for a review of your financial assessment by contacting the Council.

What can I do if I am unhappy about any decisions made about my care and support?

If you feel able to, talk through your concerns with the people directly involved and see if you can resolve the issue together. 

If you are unhappy with a decision that has been made about your care and support, you may be able to appeal against the decision.  Contact the Council on 01572 722 577 or email to find out if you are able to appeal.

If you are still unhappy, you can make a complaint to Rutland County Council. 

Making a complaint will not adversely affect the care and support services you receive  or how you are treated by us.


How can I give the Council feedback about the services they provide?

Rutland County Council is always keen to receive your comments on services generally, not just in relation to complaints.

We would welcome any views you have about any of our services. 

For example, if you feel a service is working particularly well we would like to know about this.

Tel: 01572 722 577 or email


Safeguarding: Important Information

Keeping vulnerable adults safe...

The national eligibility criteria don’t apply to safeguarding situations where there is concern about potential abuse or neglect.  Rutland County Council will always respond in situations where there is concern.

If Rutland County Council reason to suspect that you or any other adult in Rutland is experiencing, or is at risk of, abuse or neglect then the Council will make enquiries.

This applies even where the person doesn’t normally live in Rutland but is in the county at the time.

If you are worried about yourself or another person, please contact the Adult Duty Team on 01572 722577 or email

For more information about safeguarding generally, visit the Leicestershire and Rutland Safeguarding Board website:


Back to top