Skip to main content

Rutland Information Service

The Housing Options Service

Preventing Homelessness

If you face the threat of becoming homeless, you need to make every effort to resolve your housing difficulties.

The Council has limited housing resources and most people who become homeless are not entitled to the highest priority for rehousing.

If you need advice about your housing situation, contact us as soon as possible and definitely before leaving your present home. We will look at your situation and how to prevent you from becoming homeless through a range of schemes.

Tel: 01572 722 577   


Tenancy Advice

If you have been served notice on your tenancy, we may be able to negotiate with your landlord to let you to stay in your home permanently, or long enough for you to find other housing.

If you landlord is trying to evict you by serving the correct form of notice, we can refer you to the Citizen's Advice Bureau for advice.

If your landlord is trying to evict you illegally, we can refer you to the Council's Environmental Services Team, who can take legal action against landlords who break the law.

If you have already found alternative housing but have to leave your old tenancy before your new home is ready, we can negotiate with your landlord on your behalf.

Home Visits

If you live with a friend or family member and they have asked you to leave, we will visit or speak to the person you live with to find out whether they are able to let you stay.

If you live in another person's home, you are expected to keep reasonable house rules that they may set.

Rent Arrears

You are expected to treat the payment of your rent as high priority, to make sure that your home is not put at risk.

If your income drops, this means you may have to reduce spending on other things.

You are expected to claim any benefits, including Housing Benefit, when you are entitled to do so.

It is important you don't delay making a claim and you give all the information needed to receive the maximum benefit you are entitled to.

If you are threatened with homelessness because of rent arrears, we can refer you to Rutland's Citizens Advice Bureau for money advice.

They will make sure you get any benefits you are entitled to  and negotiate with your creditors and landlord to reach payment agreements you can afford.


Mediation can help if you are threatened with homelessness because of a dispute with another person.

An independent person will speak with you and the other party to work out a solution you can both agree on.

Mortgage Arrears

As with rent arrears, you must treat the payment of your mortgage as a high priority and make sure you can afford to repay any mortgage you take out.

If your income drops, this may mean you need to reduce your spending on other things.

Contact us as soon as possible if you are having difficulty paying your mortgage.

We can refer you to the Citizen's Advice Bureau for advice on claiming any benefits you are entitled to and advice on managing your money.

The CAB can also negotiate with creditors, including your mortgage lender, on your behalf to reach repayment agreements that you can afford.

Housing Association Housing

We wil make sure that you are on the Council's housing register and that the information we hold about you is up to date.

Many people who are threatened with homelessness get extra priority.

We will advise you about the areas you have asked to be housed in and whether choosing other areas will help you are considered for vacancies in housing association properties as and when they become vacant.

Rent Deposit Scheme

In general, if you move from one rented property to another, you are expected to use the deposit from your old tenancy to pay for the deposit on the new tenancy.

However, if you are moving into rented housing for the first time, or if there is good reason why you cannot afford to pay for a new deposit, the Rent Deposit Scheme may be able to help you access private rented housing.

You will need to find a property in the private sector that you can afford to rent and that the landlord is prepared to rent to you.  

The Rent Deposit Scheme can help by providing a loan for either part or all of the deposit, that you pay back to us over a period of time.

Contact us for more information.

Back to top